Thursday, April 28, 2011

Chair Before and After or how I faked re-upholstery

I was on quest for the perfect chair.  I found one, at Pier One but it was 200 dollars more than I had.  I went in a desperate search for something similar but it only got more expensive.  So I gave up and started searching for fabric.  After weeks of surfing the web I finally found "the" fabric.  I was sooo happy until I looked further and saw it was only one way to buy it.  As a bundle of 16yds for 80dollars.  Getting cheaper but not cheap enough.  So I continued to search for fabric, mean while a friend of a friend got a message to me they were going to burn this chair.  They had entertained thoughts of bringing it to glory but that's as far as it got.  They were now ready to let it go or burn it.  I have often thought of burning a lot of my stuff and fully understood what she was going through.  I rescued the chair.
Poor chair, it was once stylish, kinda.
So now I had even more of passion filled upholstery search to find awesome fabric.  Not just meh, but the kind that will make people go , wow!!.
I began by ripping off the old pleather and removing thousands of nailheads.  My hands were red for days!! 
Then another few weeks went by and I gave up my search for amazing and focused on affordable.  Upholstery fabric is not cheap, people.  So then I had this genius idea (I live near Seattle) coffee bags!!
So I troddled down to the nearest coffee roaster and grabbed a few bags (buck a piece) and made sure they had cool writing or graphics.  Then I went to JoAnnes with my trusty half off coupon.  After a few days of toil and sweat and sore hands. 
TAAAAAAAADAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!! 
It doesn't just sit there it screams "LOOK AT ME!"
So I do. 
I reused some of the nailheads and I also duck taped the legs.  Too afraid to make a commitment to paint.
I do confess it is not fully finished.  I haven't put on the arm fronts thingies.  I just put duck tape on it to see if I like red.  Still thinking about it.

So that is my faking it re-upholstery.
This chair cost maybe a total of 20 dollars to redo.  So much better than the 200.
One last look?  OK.... 

2 comments:

  1. So fun! I bet everyone sits up and takes notice at this now! I love the red accents too, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lindsey!! coming from you that is a compliment beyond mere words.

    ReplyDelete