Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Craaaaaash happens

Remember my awesome glow in the dark totally hip light?
Check last post for more description.
Seems it was too cool for the ceiling.  I heard a scream and found my daughter tweaked out by said falling light.  Seems I had not tighten it to the appropriate point of tightness. 
Yeah, no repairing that bad boy.  I searched for a while to find another glass globe thingy to redo the thing.  Yet it was a no go.  I gave up.   Yes I did, I knew I would not find another like it, it truly was one of a kind.
 
While wandering in Restore after Restore I gave up and just grabbed this cheap plentiful light diffuser so my daughter would not be blind in her room. 
Then I went to Walmart and there in the middle of accessories I had a brilliant idea.
 
How about I just liquid starch this cute bandanna on there and call it a fine day. 
So I did.  Yeah, just that easy and tadaaaa no longer an ordinary light. 
I also made sure it was fully tighten and secured.  (there were no injuries in the making of this post)
But don't you worry, I also came up with an idea to use the pieces of the other broken light.
 
It involves an embroidery hoop and some chopsticks 
So measure chopsticks and cut then glue to hoop with wood glue. 
Cool huh?  I used tape to support until glue dried and I also only did one hoop at a time.
This is not a quick project.
After it dried I gave it a few coats of spray paint and then pulled out my Goop. 
After removing the shades I re glued them to my new structure.
 
Seeing I did not have as many glasses I wished I had, I added some velum to the inside of my new drum shade. 
How does it hang there other than by sheer awesomeness?
I screwed some small eye bolts and used wire to cross thread through the little hoop on the chandelier.  Yes I rigged it.
 
So when crap happens pick up the broken pieces and double your production :)

2 comments:

  1. You've got to be the queen of reuse.

    Great idea for the new lampshade and I think the new shade was cool even before you added the shades :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two very inventive ideas!! Thanks for sharing.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete